J.R. Tolver isn’t what’s considered to be the standard ex-“jock” or the statistics that tend to go with them. A new study says that 16 percent of NFL players will go broke within 12 years of retirement. The findings are markedly different from a 2009 study that put the number at 78 percent just two years after retirement.
Regardless what the percentage is, some people don’t plan to fail…they fail to plan. In some respect they’re not just talking about money in terms of being “broke”. This also includes in spirit.
J.R.’s spirit and drive remains strong and he attributes that to the way he was raised and the example set by his father. So by the time his playing days in the NFL were over, he knew what he had to do next. He earned both his Bachelors and Masters…with that and the connections he made during his playing days, he set a plan in motion. You have to respect the grind!
In this interview J.R. and I cover his journey;
- His NFL career and what prepared him for business
- His role in teaching athletes/ex-athletes how to be entrepreneurs outside the sport?
- How he started in a Waste Management Business
- Would you take this path again?
- How his father inspires him to be the man he is today
- His role in League Network
- and more….
Also check out our Marketplace Post Game: What will you use as your fuel? where we discuss the motivation and drive people or circumstances in your life can influence.